Wednesday, December 5, 2007

An update on one of my best friends and her family

An update on my friend's baby. Turns out he stopped breathing on Sunday night around 1:30 am. My amazing nurse friend gave him CPR and saved his life. The ambulance took him to the hospital, and he's been there since. My friend called me today to let me know that he's going to be ok. They didn't know how long he had been deprived of oxygen, so they were very, very relieved to know that his brain function was normal. He might be there for awhile longer, but we are all very grateful that he's going to be ok.

This family means a lot to Miguel and I. This friend is the reason I decided to go into nursing, and definitely the kind of nurse I want to be someday. She had the presence of mind to give her own 6 day son CPR to save his life. She is a wonderful mom, and her husband is a wonderful father. Their first son is just fantastic. We couldn't be happier that their family is going to be ok. They are still in our thoughts and prayers, and will be until we know they are all safe at home.

I also got fitted for my nursing uniforms today. We get to wear maroon scrubs with the ASU emblem on the left side. I also received my stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, pen light, nursing clip board, and bandage scissors. I couldn't be more excited!! I put on a fashion show for Miguel, and he said I looked like a real nurse! I found out that my drug screen was received by the nursing school today, and everything is clear. The only thing I have left to do is show up for class on January 14th! Some administrative stuff we have to take care of deals with financial aid and in-state tuition. We're basically fighting for both. Hopefully all goes well, and we receive a Perkin's loan (which can be forgiven after 1 year of working as an RN) as well as in-state tuition for both Miguel and I. Miguel hasn't heard yet about school, but he should soon! He is also applying for a supervisor position at work. He's doing so well! I always knew he would. =)

No comments: